POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : heightfield triangle orientation : heightfield triangle orientation Server Time
6 May 2024 01:03:57 EDT (-0400)
  heightfield triangle orientation
From: janger
Date: 3 Jul 2002 21:37:53
Message: <3d23a6f1@news.povray.org>
hi,
I'm coding a utility to allow viewing of heightfields using opengl, and to
also allow object placement on the hf's using masks. For example, placing
stones in the shape of words onto the hf surface. In future I'll probably
expand it to creation and manipulation of hf's as well. However, reading
through the documentation, it seems the description of the triangle
orientation is messed up.
In  "The size and orientation of an un-scaled height field" image, the
intersection edge of the two triangles seems to be from the top-left to the
bottom-right of each 4-pixel group. Whereas in the "Relationship of pixels
and triangles in a height field" image, it is shown from the top-right to
the bottom-left.
Does anyone know if I am correct here, or am I missing something? I'd like
my program to view the hf's properly so it seems to be an important
question.

Thanx, dave.